It may come as little surprise, but redheaded romance heroines are my jam. And Barbara Valentin has written a really fun one in her sweet and funny romantic comedy, “False Start.” And as of now you can enjoy it as an audiobook…narrated by me!
What Matty Ross, the heroine of “False Start” and I have in common:
- Our middle names are both Jean. At least mine was before I changed my name when I got married. Wendy Jean Rich. What are the odds?
- We both have crazy, out-of-control, curly red hair.
- We both love deep dish pizza. And gelato.
- We are both training for a marathon. Well, in my case, a half marathon. Hopefully. If I don’t succumb to these running-induced aches and pains.
What Matty Ross and I don’t have in common:
- She lives in Chicago. I’m a New York City girl all the way.
- She is a successful journalist. I’m not.
- She has a drop dead gorgeous trainer named Nick who is helping her every step of the way. I don’t have a Nick. I’m kind of making up this whole training thing as I go along. Which reminds me. I should go for a run.
Oh but there’s so much more to this charming story.
Mattie Ross is probably the last person who should be doling out good counsel to anyone about anything. Still smarting after being left at the altar two years earlier, she is strapped with debt, has sworn off men, routinely buries herself in her work, and despite her well-proportioned figure remains haunted by childhood taunts of “Fatty Mattie”. But to her publisher at the Chicago Gazette, and listeners, she is their latest advice columnist, The Plate Spinner, a self-assured working parent to adorable fake children and multi-tasking savant. Enter Nick Derosa, the twin brother of Mattie’s cold-footed fiance, who is trying to get back on his feet after his brother steals his identity and implicates him in an illegal investment scheme. But thanks to Nick’s legendary running career, the publisher of the Chicago Gazette proposes a wager: If Nick can train an out-of-shape working parent in time to compete in the Chicago Marathon, he will contribute enough to help Nick launch his own non-profit running club for kids. Suddenly “Fatty Mattie” and Nick are thrust together as the most unlikely of pairs and under a deadline to put their trust issues aside and avoid another false start in their lives.
“False Start” is available now on Audible.com! Give it a listen! You’ll be glad you did!